Thursday, June 5, 2008

We like the orange county

Although I've only resided in Orange County for almost 3 years and counting, I must say, the music scene over here is underrated. There are a ton of conveniently located and nice venues with a lot of potential, vs. the nitty gritty cramped ones in the plastic capital of the world. Lets get real, we're like, at most 15 minutes away from the beach and 5 minutes from a mall anywhere you are in Orange County, duh.

So here are my top 9 local bands.
From gritty warehouse punk / electronica shows, to
the Tijuana esque hood in Costa Mesa (Hence detroit bar, evocal),
Downtown Fullerton (A nice clash of pubs and venues)
and of course, the infamous backyard parties.

This is back when Health played in my hood and not with
Crystal Castles, and sidenote they did not start this
new sound, it's been incorporated into all the Santa Ana
bands years before crimewave even came out.


9.)The Shys
Myspace.com/theshysmusic

Track: Call in the Cavalry

The shys is a band you would find on the back of a "Music from the OC" soundtrack if Marisa never died. The sounds is somewhat like Jet but with the laid back beach setting behind the notes. It's "a formula mainly used by British groups of the sixties and seventies (Rolling Stones, The Kinks, The Beatles, The Clash) and turn it into something visceral, all their own." Check it.

The image “http://a985.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/102/l_48e919ebf5a66d72554441664fec1480.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.


8.) Pink Book Girls Club
Myspace.com/pinkbookgirlsclub

Check out the track Nicole Richie Motherfucker

Even though me, you, and your best friend have all dated and hated him,
We can also agree that seeing PBGC perform is an experience, right?
Chris G. gets painfully into the track and starts pounding on the ground
(During, and after the show). The crowd is half metal and half stilleto-overdone
and underage girls R.I.P.

The image “http://b0.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/01051/05/23/1051523250_l.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

7.) Paper Thin Walls
Myspace.com/wearepaperthinwalls

Track: Midnight Moves

Ummm, I think I'm in some of these lyrics...LOL.
Paper thin walls has come a long way in such a short amount of time. They played with Led Zeppelin, yes you heard me, at their reunion show in London. Sadly all good things must come to an end, and the band is no longer together, but I jacked a bunch of copies from one of the homeboys in the band, so if you're interested for a copy, message me via myspace. Teehee.

The image “http://a549.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/128/l_1bf44303405136f800483c3f616ce834.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

6.) Venus Infers
Myspace.com/VenusInfers

Track: London's raining

I once told Davis Fetter that I loved him. And holla'd at my ass back and returned to singing a pretty little song, and from that moment on I've been hooked by his voice. If Kings of Leon had a baby with Arctic Monkeys, Venus Infers is the love child. But with a face. and you know, the rest of the package.


The image “http://a929.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/121/l_9353c30b09df8894696e283952d99cf8.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

5.) Japanese Motors
myspace.com/thejapanesemotors

Track: Regrets of Paradise

When Japanese Motors walks onto a stage, shirts start to unbutton, lipstick is reapplied
and acrylics are sharpened. Intimidated boyfriends and hubbies also move in closer to their
domain/woman, and fellas I wouldn't blame you. There's something about the motors that
just gets the crowd going. Dear Al Knost, I still have a piece of your wife beater (shared with 10 other girls from a Chain Reaction show a year or two back.) Also thanks for the cameo to me and B's get together. And disappearing after you guys found the hot tub...

The image “http://a389.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/120/l_748ad3b79dc6fe75246e75a827a40f84.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.


4.) My Pet Saddle
www.Myspace.com/mypetsaddleband

Track: Alaskan Sun

Although 100% of this band hates me,
They make number four on my list because:
1.) I feel guilty and cursed for stealing one of the member's hats. and I'm "cursed".
2.) Their music on their page does not give them any justice on how well they sound
and perform live.
3.) PYT's.

The image “http://a763.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/16/l_ad68f99c945448290cfb83a4b28be1e2.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

3.)Pop Noir
Myspace.com/popnoir
Track: Santa Ana

My favorite pair of twins besides Suite life of Zack&Cody boys,
Luke and Joe have the smoothest moves that JT should be afraid.
It's been great to watch them grow, from Sol Art to Cinespace and
a club near you, I advise you to wear your dancing shoes and round up
a dance partner. Cos they fine.

The image “http://a712.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/30/l_3ddd6478aeab17878455671fc69d242f.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.


2.) The Growlers
myspace.com/lbcgrowlers

Track: Sunset Girl

I'm convinced that there's something in the water from wherever the Growlers
are from, not only are they genetically perfect, their music is mind blowing
and medication to the ears. No joke. It cured my friend's migraine, it will be
the remedy to yours. Oh yeah, and let's not forget, their handsome *fan girl giggle*

The image “http://a601.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/73/l_b844713a2ff5f4ee92adfb47f041aed8.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.


1.) PRS HLTN, MTHRFCKRS!!!!
myspace.com/phmf

Although the band isn't together anymore,
seein Hailey in her bathing suit, sneakers + rocking chains
and bringing the neighborhood creepers together in a backyard
party was def the shit, and this photo says it all.
(Taken in Mike's living room)

And overall they win #1 on my list just because
of the non-existent pride that takes over me when I tune into OC ROX.

The image “http://b4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/01527/40/84/1527294804_l.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm happy to see the Shys made the list. I've loved that band for over three years now.

I live in Chicago, and I do love the music scene here very much [and even from Detroit, where I'm originally from], but Southern Cali music just has that something that I can't quite put my finger on, and I love what comes out of that area more and more.

Anyhow, nice list!

BJ said...

It's something in our water, it comes out naturally. We're not as pretentious as LA, I think the music reflects that.